After decades of riding as a pro snowboarder and exploring the world's most gnarly backcountry, 2009 was the year Jeremy Jones decided to start making snowboards. Making the most of his industry contacts, his experience and a whole lot of get-up-and-go he set about realising his dream of high performance, durable and sustainable snowboards.
The snowboards were well received from their inception, with a multitude of industry awards from ISPO, Transworld Good Wood, Backcountry Mag and many more. But Jeremy didn't rest on this early success, instead developing, improving and expanding the range over the next few years. This included adding to the number of women’s models - great to see in an often male-dominated sport.
Enhancing the experience on the hill and leading the way in eco-friendly technologies the Jones brand has attracted a strong team of professional snowboarders, guides and brand ambassadors. It is this drive to apply their guiding principles to all their snowboards and projects that has won them so many loyal fans across the world.
Jones are part of the ‘1% for the planet’ collective. This group of businesses all gift one percent of their sales to non-profit sustainability organisations. Jones donate their 1% to POW (Protect Our Winters) – a charity set up by Jeremy Jones to:
- organise brands, athletes and locals into a collective force to achieve change
- lobby Washington D.C to implement climate change policies
- reduce deforestation and introduce tree planting schemes
Conscious of their global impact, Jones decided to house their manufacturing centre in Dubai. This allowed the company to minimise material freight and CO2 as a lot of the products were already in location. They also demand that their apparel manufactures used organic cotton, recycled plastics and water based inks.
Eco-friendly parts in a Jones snowboard
Jones take pride in their unwavering eco-friendly stance; making use of natural or recycled materials where possible and limiting their environmental impact.
- Topsheet - made from a natural beans
- Wood core - sourced from sustainable forests
- Finger joined wood core - avoids waste
- Bamboo veneer - this fast-growing shoot removes the need for some plastics and lacquer
- Recycled steel edges
- Recycled ABS walls
- Basalt stringers – a naturally occurring material it reduces the use of carbon fibre where possible
- Reverse base design – minimises base material waste
Snowboards & Tech
Jones make snowboards for those of us who want to explore natural terrain in the mountains. Whether that's a 40 degree face or a cruisey piste, they've got a board for it.
Easy to ride and able to shred any terrain the Mountain Twin and Twin Sister are the backbone of the Jones line-up. Having received multiple awards since their introduction, the user–friendly boards are the go-to choice for beginner, intermediate and expert riders alike.
Aimed at intermediate to advanced riders the beefed-up Ultra Twin is a lighter and stiffer version of the Mountain twin. Performance driven, it uses carbon stringers, a higher grade base/ABS walls and stronger laminate layers to add speed and response.
Jones's dedication to backcountry riding shines through in their large range of splitboards. Making use of a revolutionary no-bolt clasp system and re-profiled wood core the boards perform very closely to their solid counterparts.
Going far beyond a set-back stance and a big nose, Jones have developed a collection of pow-shredding boards to suit different styles and approaches to snowboarding backcountry terrain.
Storm chaser - A short and wide fish-shape board that lifts you above the snow and has incredible manoeuvrability off and on the piste.
Project X – Jones’s most spec'd-out board, this new-fangled space age thing is a carbon monster. Closer to a concept board than a factory line, the designers have used new-age manufacturing and materials to create an ultralight board that can handle the most extreme terrain.
- Hovercraft - A hybrid profile with a subtle swallowtail, the board can handle crud, crust and pow with ease - blasting couloirs and tree lines.
Jones are one of the main instigators in pushing forward snowboard design - experimenting with new materials and construction. Here's several of their latest developments:
- Spoon technology - similar in shape to a spoon at the nose and tail, the board lifts up away from the snow creating a surf like catch-free feel.
- Bolt-less bridge - no bolts pass through the board (on a split board) and an extra thick profile around the clasps adds strength to the connections - helping to hold the pieces together.
- Ultra Sintered Base a high molecular weight and fluro additives makes this one of the fastest and toughest bases around.
If you want any more info about Jones snowboards drop into one of our stores for a chat or you can speak to our online experts.
Image source Jones